|Single-Chip 6-Port 10/100 Ethernet Switch Controller with Dual MII/RMII Interface
The RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM is a 6-port Fast Ethernet switch controller that integrates memory, six MACs, and five physical layer transceivers for 10Base-T and 100Base-TX operation into a single chip.
The RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM support a Dual MII/RMII interface for external devices to connect to the 6th MAC, 5th MAC, and 5th PHY. The external device could be a routing engine, HomePNA, HomePlug, or VDSL transceiver depending on the application. In order to accomplish diagnostics in complex network systems, the RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM provides a loopback feature in each port.
The RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM supports several advanced QoS functions with four-level priority queues to improve multimedia or real-time networking applications, including:
Multi priority assignment
Differential queue weight
Port-based and queue-based rate limitation
16-entry ACL for advanced packet control application
Note: RTL8306SD and RTL8306SDM difference is that the ACL (Access Control List) function is supported only by the RTL8306SDM.
For multicast applications, the RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM supports IGMPv1/v2/v3 and MLDv1/v2 snooping.
To meet security and management requirements, the RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM supports IEEE 802.1x Port-based/MAC-based Access Control, provides a Port Mirroring function, and also supports five 32-bit MIB Counters on each port.
The RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM supports 16 VLAN groups. These can be configured as port-based VLANs and/or 802.1Q tag-based VLANs. The RTL8306SD/SDM also supports an advanced VLAN setting method for an external processor to maintain more than 16 VLAN groups.
The RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM provides a tag insertion/remove function. A VLAN tag or a Realtek proprietary tag can be inserted or removed at the output port. The inserted tag can carry useful information for Router and Gateway applications, such as the source port and the priority of the packet.
The RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM contains a 2K-entry address lookup table, a 16-entry CAM, and a 4-way associative hash algorithm to avoid hash collisions and to maintain forwarding performance. The 2K-entry table provides read/write access from the SMI interface, and each of the entries can be configured as a static entry that does not automatically age out and can only be controlled by the external management processor. For IGMP/MLD snooping application, each of the 2K entries can be configured as a multicast entry that indicates the matched packets will be forwarded to the specific multi ports. For IEEE 802.1x application, each of the 2K entries can be configured as an authorized or unauthorized entry.
Maximum packet length can be 1536 or 1552 bytes according to the initial configuration (strapping upon reset). Three types of independent storm filter are provided to filter packet storms, and an intelligent switch engine prevents Head-of-Line blocking problems. The filtering function is supported for IEEE 802.1D specified reserved multicast addresses (01-80-C2-00-00-02 and 01-80-C2-00-00-04 to 01-80-C2-00-00-0F).
The RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM provides flexible LED functions for diagnostics, with four combination modes. An externally managed processor can control the LED through SMI.
A power saving mode is implemented on a per-port basis. Users can set MII Reg.0.11 to force the corresponding port to enter power down mode, which disables all transmit/receive functions, except SMI (MDC/MDIO management interface).
To simplify the peripheral circuit, the RTL8306SD/RTL8306SDM can use a low-cost PNP transistor to generate 1.8V from a 3.3V power supply.
- 6-port switch controller with memory and transceiver for 10Base-T and 100Base-TX with:
- 5-port 10/100M UTP or
- 5-port 10/100M UTP + 1-port MII/RMII or
- 4-port 10/100M UTP + 2-port MII/RMII
- Supports Dual MII/RMII for router applications, HomePNA, HomePlug, or VDSL solutions.
- The 6th MAC provides MII or RMII
- The 5th MAC provides MII or RMII
- The 5th PHY provides MII or RMII
- Non-blocking wire-speed reception and transmission and non-head-of-line-blocking forwarding
- Complies with IEEE 802.3/802.3u auto-negotiation
- Built-in high efficiency SRAM for packet buffer, with 2K-entry lookup table, 16-entry CAM, and 4-way associative hash algorithm.
- Supports high performance QoS function on each port:
- Supports 4-level priority queues
- Weighted round robin service
- Input/Output port bandwidth control
- Supports IGMP v1/v2/v3 and MLD v1/v2 snooping
- Supports 16-entry ACL for advanced application (RTL8306SDM only)
- Supports IEEE 802.1x
- Supports IEEE 802.1D
- Supports IEEE 802.1p Traffic Re-marking
- Lookup Table is accessible via SMI
- Supports 32-bit smart counter for per port RX/TX byte/packet count, collision counter, and error counter
- Supports reserved control frame filtering (DID=01-80-C2-00-00-04 ~ 01-80-C2-00-00-0F )
- Supports advanced storm filtering
- Supports Port Mirroring
- Supports interrupt for CPU application
- Supports SMI (Serial Management Interface) for programming and diagnostics
- Optional EEPROM interface for configuration
- Supports MAC and PHY loopback function for diagnosis
- Supports up to 16 VLAN groups
- Flexible 802.1Q port/tag-based VLAN
- Supports special VLAN tag insert or remove function on per-port basis (egress) to separate WAN traffic from LAN traffic
- VLAN priority tag Insert/Remove function
- ARP VLAN for broadcast packets
- Leaky VLAN for unicast packets
- Supports external processor to maintain greater than 16 VLAN groups
- Flexible LED indicators for link, activity, speed, full/half duplex, and collision, as well as user defined LED output
- LEDs blink upon reset for LED diagnostics
- Supports loop detection function with one LED to indicate the existence of a loop
- Optional 1552 byte maximum packet length
- Flow control fully supported:
- Half duplex: Back pressure flow control
- Full duplex: IEEE 802.3x flow control
- Optional MDI/MDIX auto crossover for plug-and-play
- Physical layer port Polarity Detection and Correction function
- Supports power reduction methods (Power down mode)
- Robust baseline wander correction for improved 100Base-TX performance
- 25MHz crystal or 3.3V/1.8V OSC input
- Single 3.3V power input can be transformed to 1.8V via a low-cost external BJT transistor
- Low power, 1.8/3.3V, 0.18µm CMOS technology
- 128-pin PQFP package
- 5-port switches (10Base-T & 100Base-TX)
- xDSL/cable modem router or home gateway applications
- HomePlug bridge solutions